About this Blog

I am a Senior Reviewer for Great Minds Think Aloud Independent Publishing. I specialize in Fantasy, Science, Realistic and Mythology Fiction, but enjoy reading all types of literature. My favorite authors include Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and Devon Monk. I am currently writing my own Fantasy Fiction book hoping to one day join the ranks of published authors. The books I have reviewed can be found on this site. The links to the right will take you to the blogs of my fellow reviewers.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Dark Lord: The Early Years Jamie Thomson[Hardcover]

Dark Lord was, I believe, written for children between the ages of 8 and 12. However I decided to read it anyways and I am glad I did. I found this book compelling as I was thrown into a Dark Lord’s worst nightmare. The author’s writing drew me in and I loved feeling like I was part of the action.

The Dark Lord was thrown from his plane of existence by the White Wizard and deposited on Earth, either by accident or as a punishment. On Earth his soul was incarnated in the form of a young boy and deposited in a parking lot. When found by Law Enforcement he was assumed to be an orphan with a severe mental defect and deposited at a foster home.

The Dark Lord, referred to on Earth as Dirk Lloyd, was placed with Chris and his family and sent to school to live the life of a normal child. Dirk, however, was far from a normal child. He quickly befriends Sooz, a Gothic girl who likes Dirk just because he is a little strange, sort of like her.

For months Dirk tries to convince the boys and girls his age he really is a Dark Lord from another plane. No one believes him, however his millennia of experience with strategy and battle techniques quickly earns the friendship of Sal, the school sports hero. With these three, he has his inner circle of minions complete.

Dirk spends his time trying to find a way back to his plane, but he is plagued by nightmares of a hideous monster chasing him down. After a failed attempt to create a doorway, he burns his cloak in anger and opens a window home. From the window pops the King of the Goblins and after a conversation and a bargain, Dirk finds out that the monster from his dreams is real and hunting him down.

Is Dirk really a Dark Lord of Evil from another plane? Will he have enough time to convince his friends… sorry, minions… that he really is a Dark Lord before this hideous monster finds him and finishes him off? Will he be able to create a portal home in this world without the magic he is accustomed to using? I couldn’t put the book down until I found the answers to these questions, and I am glad I didn’t. The ending was completely unexpected and left this reader wanting more. So, Dirk Lloyd, I hope your Nightgaunt did not indeed kill off your slave editor and that your minions quickly produce your next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment